Skip to main content

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Jamie - part 2

If you haven’t checked out the first 2 articles in our Pelvic Health series, go do it now.  Click here and here, then come back and check out post 3.  Or, since you’re here, read this one and then go back and read the other ones.  

My heart was beating a mile a minute as I nervously waited for my appointment.  I thought the hardest part about this whole process was going to be making the initial appointment.  Turns out, it was even harder to get my butt to the there and through the door of the clinic.  But, here I was, sitting in the waiting room of Bounce Back Physical Therapy, mindlessly scrolling through Instagram, looking for any kind of distraction to keep my mind off the looming exam.  

After what felt like forever, but in reality was a few minutes, Jillian Palmer, the physiotherapist, walked into the waiting room and I felt so much better to put a face to her name.  She sounded nice on the phone and via email but upon meeting her, her smile and calm demeanor put me at ease.  I walked into her private office in the clinic, sat down and the appointment began.  The initial portion of the exam was filled with questions.  Jillian wanted to know in depth about my prenatal, birth, and postnatal history, my daily water intake, voiding, and sleep habits, a thorough medical history, and if I had any concerns or questions for her.  After the history portion of the exam she checked the alignment of my body while standing and squatting.  From there Jillian had me lay down on the exam table to check my core.  

Next came the dreaded internal exam. Jillian left the room so I could change.  I got my bottom half undressed, climbed onto the table and waited patiently, totally exposed except for the sheet she gave me to cover up.  Thankfully this time it was an actual sheet and not those extremely uncomfortable and awkward paper ones you get at the doctor.  At this point my heart rate was through the roof.  I hate internal exams.  I mean, sitting there in an uncomfortable position, with your nether regions exposed, waiting for a stranger to come in and thoroughly examine your vagina, isn’t something I look forward to, especially this time, knowing I was experiencing symptoms that likely meant she was going to find something not quite right with me.  

Once again, as soon as Jillian entered I felt calmer and I could tell this exam was going to be different than the ones I had experienced in the past.  She assured me that I had nothing to worry about and even used the analogy that the exam of my vagina was just like her examining my knee.  Don’t get me wrong, I was still nervous but it was a little bit easier to calm down without my feet in metal stirrups and a paper sheet crunching with every shift of my body.  Jillian offered me a mirror to view the exam, and I’m not going to lie, I was not on board at first.  I didn’t want an already awkward situation to be worse.  I just wanted her to examine me and get this part over with.  That being said, as the exam went on and I started to relax, as much as one can in that type of situation, I became more and more intrigued.  I found the use of the mirror very helpful, educational and interesting.  She showed me what was happening as I engaged and relaxed my pelvic floor and what it looked like internally when I coughed and barred down.  I was able to see exactly what was going on with my body and seeing and learning first hand made me feel so empowered.  It was a whole new experience for me and it wasn’t nearly as awkward as I made it out in my head to be.  

Throughout the appointment Jillian was very honest with me about what she was finding, in terms of what I needed to work on to improve my body’s strength and function.  We discussed what she found and the strategies we were going to use to tackle each of the following areas.  
  • Diastasis Recti or abdominal separation
  • Grade 2 posterior vaginal wall prolapse
  • Excess tone (holding muscle contraction when at rest) throughout my body including in my pelvic floor and abdominal wall
  • Cesarean section scar tissue resulting in adhesion of abdominal layer

There it is, the list of the areas in my body that needed some love and attention ASAP. On the drive home after the appointment, I had a chance to think.  My brain was going a mile a minute.  I was feeling defeated and embarrassed.  How was I ever going to fix all of this?  How did I let my body get to this point?  Why didn’t I address these issues when I first felt them, instead of pushing them aside?  
Our bodies don’t lie and mine had been telling me that it wasn’t happy or functioning at its best and I just ignored it, until now.   Even that small discomfort and pressure I was feeling while doing jacks and my new outie belly button was my body’s way of saying that something was out of place.  
It’s remarkable really.  When you think about all the changes a woman’s body goes through to grow a human being.  The shifting of all of the organs and stretching of tissues to make room for a growing baby and expanding uterus is truly amazing.  But it’s also amazing to think that after all of that, your organs and tissues can go back to exactly where they started before pregnancy.  It shouldn’t be surprising to me then that things weren’t back in place 100% and my body was trying to tell me this.  
I got home and read through my list of homework, which mainly included stretches and mindfully relaxing, and after some reflection I was ready to tackle my new mission.  Operation stretch and relax was underway and I was excited to see the changes I could make.




It’s been a few months since my initial appointment and I’m excited to share with you the progress and setbacks I’ve experienced throughout this journey. Stay tuned to our next instalments to see how Kellie’s first appointment went, read about her magic moment, and learn how we are discovering our true strength through this humbling journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

6 Tips for Pregnant Moms

Hello all! My name is Laura Adam and I am a Registered Dietitian and currently a Masters student studying maternal health at the University of Alberta. I was honoured when Kellie asked me to write a guest blog post about nutrition for this week. Since I work with pregnant mothers on a daily basis, I thought I would write about some top tips for pregnant mothers out there. All pregnant mothers just want to do all the right things to have a healthy baby. However, I realize the world of nutrition can be complex and confusing, thus here are 6 simple tips for living out a healthy lifestyle in pregnancy! 6 Tips for Pregnant Moms 1.     Eat twice as healthy, not twice as much! You and your baby are going through a period of great growth. However, not as many extra calories are needed as you may think. In your first trimester, no extra calories are needed. In your second trimester, 350 additional calories are recommended, and in your third trimester, an additional 450 calories.